Palmer House Museum
The Palmer House is currently closed. Located at 9390 Olde Eight Road in Northfield Center, Ohio. Normally during the Spring, Summer and early Fall months, the Palmer House Museum is open on the Second and Fourth Sunday of each month from 2pm to 4pm. After October, tours of the museum will be available by appointment only. Email Palmer-House@hson.info for availability. Groups of up to 24 can be accommodated at one time. Unfortunately due to the historical nature of the building, it is currently not wheelchair accessible.
There is no charge to tour the museum.
Society Meeting Schedule
We have started our 2020 season. Meetings are held the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm in the Northfield Center Town Hall. NOTE: Due to the corona virus health issues and the fact that the Northfield Center Town Hall is unavailable for public use, future meetings have been cancelled until further notice.
The Society has a large store of artifacts, photos, and articles that need inventoried and cataloged. If preserving history is of interest to you, contact us at Palmer-House@hson.info and volunteer your time to help.
The Palmer House Museum is normally open May thru October on the second and fourth Sundays of the month from 2-4 pm. Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the Palmer House Museum is currently closed.
The Historical Society of Olde Northfield
Founded in 1957, the The Historical Society of Olde Northfield is located at 9390 Olde Eight Road in Northfield Center, Ohio. Housed in a frame building known as the Palmer House, the Society operates the house as a museum in one of the few remaining vertical-beam construction homes in Ohio.
In 1832, Hezekiah and Abilgail Taylor Palmer built the first house in Northfield Center, a round log cabin. The log cabin was replaced by this framed house in about 1844. The home was built by William Palmer, Hezekiah’s son. Hezekiah sold the land on which the house was located to William sometime around 1842-1843. It remained in the Palmer family until William’s daughter, Helen Palmer, sold it to Lew and Sara Dalrymple in 1903. In 1915 it was sold to the school district which still holds title to it. The house was moved to its present location to make way for Northfield Elementary School. The north wing, a kitchen, was removed. Since 1965 the Board of Education has permitted the Historical Society of Old Northfield to house its museum there.
Northfield Center, Northfield Village, Sagamore Hills and Macedonia were all once part of the original Northfield Township. The Palmer House and Museum represents the history of all of the Nordonia Hill’s communities. Collections of historical items and photographs from the area from the past 150 years can be found here.
Historical Society Board