Early People of Brandywine
Transcribed from an unknown author by Amanda Czocher
Philo Post was born in Saybrook, Connecticut on June 29, 1817. He was the son of Joshua and Molly Post. Joshua and Molly had 12 children. Philo was the youngest. He came to Summit County with his parents when he was 4 yrs old, in 1821. His parents located in the southern part of the township, near Brandywine. His father purchased the land before coming. His father, Joshua, died 2 years after their arrival. When Philo was 14 years old, he moved to Liberty Street, Twinsburg, Ohio, with his mother, Mollie Post. Mollie had purchased 50 acres in Twinsburg. He lived with his mother until he married Luna Carpenter on January 1, 1850.
Drakes and Carpenters
They were early settlers of Brandywine. Aaron and Tizah (Drake) Carpenter had 11 children.
The Wallace Family
John Wallace came to Londonderry, New Hampshire, from Scotland in 1716. James Sr. was the fourteenth child of John, born at Ackwith, New Hampshire in 1775. James Sr. married Margaret Archibald, and with her they raised ten children, George Sr., Robert, Jane, John, Ann, Margaret, Nancy, Jonathan, James Jr., and William.
George Sr., the eldest son of James was born in 1776. George Sr. and his brother Robert, seemed to be endowed with a spirit of adventure. Perhaps, living in a free world, they desired to escape the rigid discipline of the early Colonial days. At any rate they made a break. They equipped themselves with a bag of provisions and an axe apiece, and started on their 600 mile trip on foot, to Youngstown.
In 1798 they reached their destination, and landed a job. They hired out to a man named Samuel Menough, to cut wood, at 12 1/8 cents per cord. They must have found time to cut two of Cupid’s arrows to pierce the hearts of Samuel’s two daughters. George Sr. married Harriett Menough and James married her sister.
In 1803 James Jr. was born to George and Harriet. Three other children, George Jr., Perkins, and Emeline increased their family. In 1806 George moved to Geagua, then to Cleveland. He purchased twelve acres of land on Superior, where the Rockefeller building now stands, and built a log cabin hotel. In 1814, wishing to escape the malaria atmosphere of Cleveland, he moved to Brandywine to develop the water-power of Brandywine Falls. He immediately built a sawmill and a distillery in 1816. John Menough, a relative, cared for the grist-mill and Allen Burris managed the distillery. As told by Perrin,” The distillery used some 12 bushels of grain daily, which turned out thirty or forty gallons of ‘Excellent Whiskey’”.
Doyle in his “Biography of Summit County,” states that an entry in Wallace’s day book records ten gallons of whiskey towards the minister’s support. “This good liquor was known as ‘Brandywine Currency’ “The distillery was abandoned around 1830.
Robert Wallace came here with his family in 1815. He built a log cabin. He also owned an interest in the sawmill and was the sawyer. This mill ran until about 1851. Mr. Wallace built a woolen factory near the mills in 1821. At the end of two years, the whole process of carding, spinning, weaving, and dressing was conducted on a large scale, which required the work of twelve to twenty men. At one time all these mills were in operation at once. In an apartment on the second floor of the grist-mill, George Wallace placed $1,000 worth of goods, and put his young son James in charge of it.
All these pursuits of Brandywine were the means of bringing several families to the little community. It became such a thriving place that it is said to have rivaled Cleveland at that time, in industry, education and religion. In 1822 Mr. Wallace succeeded in getting a post office at Brandywine, and he, himself, was commissioned Post Master. This was the first post office in Northfield Township.
In 1825, James, at fifteen years of age, with his brother George, took charge of the 1200 acre farm, on which were raised 2,000 to 2,500 sheep, 70 to 75 head of cattle, and 10 to 15 horses. George’s property fell to son James. Later, with his father, he built many miles of the Ohio Canal.
In 1843 a very unusual flood occurred, and swept away the factory, scattering the wreckage for miles along the banks of the river. It badly injured the grist-mill which was repaired and used again. The factory was never rebuilt.
In 1844 Wallace and Wallace opened a store of $2,000 worth of goods which they carried for 10 or 12 years. The store is now used as part of the old Wallace Dwelling.
George Wallace, the father, was active until his death in 1846, at the age of 73 years. George left four children, James Waugh, George Young, Emeline, and Perkins.
In 1836 James married Adeline Hanchett. Their children were:
Mary, wife of Lorin Bliss
Warner W. a retired farmer
Leonard C. – Macedonia retired farmer
Margaret Stanhope, wife of H. R. P. Hamilton, architect.
The James Wallace family lived in Brandywine until 1870, then moved to Macedonia, at Maple Mound, on Hudson Road. James Wallace died in 1885 and Adeline Wallace in 1887.
Hiram Wallace, second son of James married Marianna Mearns. He remained at the home in Brandywine until 1867. In 1879 Hiram bought the Proctor farm, lot 64, and in 1885 he added to his farm the Boyd property, lot 65. In 1891 he completed his beautiful home in Northfield, on Boyden Road. (The Proctor farm was built in 1821).
Hiram Wallace’s children were:
Belle Mearns, who married Clark Dillow
Anne Waugh, who married Rev. W. T. Hammond of Northeast, Maryland
George H. who married Emma Rudgers of Brecksville
Clark Dillow’s children were:
Anne Waugh’s children were:
George, who had one daughter
The Humphrey Families
Cicily Humphry settled in Brandywine
Isaiah Humphry married Almira Waite, and is the grandfather of Wallace Humphry who married Sarah Smith. Their children were:
Florence married Ed Way
Howard (“Kid”) married Eleanor Brower
Irving (“Pick”) married Elsie Chase and then married Mary Chamberlin
Charles May married George Bishop’s sister Martha. Their children were:
Lewis was born in Baden, Germany in 1845. He was a stonemason. He married Helen Kirsh. His children were :
Mrs. Lewis Holzhaur died in 1891
John H. Johnson
John H. Johnson was a Northfield farmer. He served in Civil War. He was born in Bedford, in 1847. His parents were William and Elizabeth Johnson.
Samuel Perry was born 1838. His parents were David and Sarah Perry. He came to Brandywine in 1861 and in 1862 married Laura Barnhart. Seven days after his marriage he enlisted in the Civil War. After the war he bought 82 acres at Brandywine and became a farmer. He was the father of two children: Helen M., who married Marvin Berry, and Sadie, who became an artist.
Samuel and Sally (Ozmun) Miller
Samuel and Sally (Ozmun) Miller came to Boston Township in 1810 and bought 150 acres of land on the state road. They lived there for several years. Their son Volney lived at the old homestead their parents settled. Volney married Susan Thompson – first wife in 1835. He married his second wife, Helen Donzorth of Hudson. Children by Volney’s first wife :
Volney’s children by his second wife:
Henry Post came to Boston in 1804 with his wife. His wife died in 1859. Henry was killed in an accident on July 4, 1865, while on a visit to his daughters.
Hiram Lee arrived in Boston in 1841. He died in 1877. He owned 116 acres of land.
Lewis was the son of Benjamin and Priscilla Lemoin. He was the station agent at Peninsula. He was born in 1822, in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. At the age eighteen he started work on the canal and worked up to packet captain – 12 years in all. Later he was worked on the railroad, with the Cuyahoga and Mt. Vernon Railroad as a switchman. He then to went Clinton, Ohio, as station agent for 3 years. He returned to Macedonia as station agent with the C. and P. R. R. Co. He served here for 17 years. Then he served 9 years at Columbia as a night watchman of the Treasury. Later, he was employed as station agent for Boston and Peninsula.
In 1853 Lewis married Lucinda Post, daughter of Henry and May A (Clark) Post, native of Boston Township. Mr. Lemoin served for years as Northfield Township Clerk. Mr. Lemoin had four children :
Thede who followed his father as Station agent at Macedonia
and Dollie O.